Who We Are…..
The Palmetto Shores Marina was constructed and opened for business in 1964 in Cherry Grove Beach, SC (the city of N. Myrtle Beach wasn’t incorporated until 1968). The current restaurant building (where we are now) was the original ship’s store, marina office, and lounge for the Palmetto Shores Community along Little River Neck Road.
In that year, Captain Archie “Poo” McLauchlin, was a 29 year old dashing young man known for his knowledge of offshore fishing. Born in 1935 (the same year the Cherry Grove Drawbridge was opened), Archie was nicknamed “Poo” at the time of his birth by his older sister. Apparently, he was a “healthy” child tipping the scales at a whopping 13 lbs! His sister took the name from a famous cartoon character named Poo the Giant. The name stuck.
A native of Cherry Grove Beach, McLauchlin spent his life hunting and fishing with his father, who gave him his first boat when he was 12 years old. He immediately began taking locals and tourists on fishing expeditions and received his Captain’s license from the US Coast Card before his 18th birthday. After serving in the US Air Force, Captain Poo returned and continued his career making his mark in the Maritime Community in and around Cherry Grove. He would go on serve as Captain for a number of celebrities including Julio Iglesias and Dale Earnhardt.
In 1981, the Palmetto Shores lounge was taken over by Captain Poo, who named it The Palmetto Yacht and Fishing Club. The membership fee (if you had it…) was $10. The Club was dedicated to the preservation of The Osprey. Improvements to the property during his tenure included the addition of the outside bar and the expansion of the dining room. In spite of the Palmetto Yacht and Fishing Club name on the building, most around here called it “Poos”.